There’s no way around it, COVID-19 has caused a global health crisis and most people are self-quarantining to avoid contracting the virus and/or passing it on to others. So if you and the rest of the real estate investors are staying home to stay healthy, that can create some serious downtime that doesn’t have to be wasted. We’re here to give you the ultimate list of productive things you can do as an investor – all from the comfort (and safety) of your couch.
Become a Licensed Realtor
- This may vary depending on your area, but in Washington, DC you can become a licensed realtor 100% online with 60 hours of training and 1 final test.
Scour the Internet for Your Next Project
- The MLS – you can still occasionally find deals on the MLS, but you should also be looking in multiple other places
- Greatdcdeals.com – off-market deals site that features properties that are preapproved for funding (local to DC, MD, and VA)
- Foreclosure.com – one-stop-shop for preforeclosures, foreclosures, short sales, REO properties (nationwide)
- Auction.com – investor-centric foreclosures and REO properties (nationwide)
Network and Learn Virtually
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Attend Webinars
- How to Buy Your First (or Next) Property in the Next 90 Days!
- Check Meetup.com – many would-be in-person events are turning to webinar formats during the COVID-19 situation
Read Real Estate Investing Books
- Timing the Real Estate Market by Craig Hall – this one definitely hits home right now, real estate all comes down to timing so learn about trends and strategies based on timing from this REI millionaire
- Shift: How Top Real Estate Agents Tackle Tough Times by Gary Keller – another relevant one right now – Keller talks about resilience and fortitude through tough times in the real estate market
- The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner – the name says it all, Brandon from BiggerPockets explains practical steps and strategies that will allow you to build a successful rental portfolio
- Investing with No Money Down by Brandon Turner – Another book by Brandon, this time walking you through various ways you can start investing in real estate with little to no money out of your own pocket
- The Book on Flipping Houses by J. Scott – In this book Scott gives you simple steps to take to succeed in real estate so that you can leave your 9-5 job and build an empire